Turkey Cabbage Stew
Chock-full of ground turkey, cabbage, carrots and tomatoes, this speedy stew delivers delicious down-home comfort on cool days. If you don't like cabbage, replace it with chopped green peppers. Simply saute the peppers with the turkey, onion and garlic.Susan Lasken, Woodland Hills, California
6 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1 pound ground turkey
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 cups chopped cabbage
- 2 medium carrots, sliced
- 1 can (28 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 3/4 cup water
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Cook the turkey, onion and garlic in a large saucepan over medium
- heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Add the remaining
- ingredients. Bring to a boil; cover and simmer for 12-15 minutes or
- until the vegetables are tender. Yield: 6 servings.
Nutritional Facts: One 1-cup serving (prepared with lean ground turkey) equals 268 calories, 10 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 90 mg cholesterol, 1,014 mg sodium, 23 g carbohydrate, 6 g fiber, 24 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 1 starch, 1 vegetable.