Turkey Cabbage Soup Recipe
- 1 pound lean ground turkey
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 3 pounds potatoes, peeled and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 3 medium carrots, sliced
- 1 small head cabbage, chopped
- 1 can (49-1/2 ounces) reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon prepared Dijon mustard
- 1-1/2 teaspoons prepared horseradish
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon cold water
- 1. In a large soup kettle, cook turkey and onions in oil over medium heat until turkey is no longer pink; drain. Add the potatoes, carrots, cabbage, broth, mustard, horseradish, salt and pepper; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15-20 minutes or until potatoes are tender, stirring occasionally.
- 2. Combine cornstarch and cold water until smooth; gradually stir into soup. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until slightly thickened. Yield: 10 servings (about 3-1/2 quarts).
One serving (1-1/2 cups) equals 242 calories, 6 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 36 mg cholesterol, 661 mg sodium, 36 g carbohydrate, 6 g fiber, 14 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 vegetable, 1-1/2 starch, 1 lean meat, 1/2 fat.