Turkey Cabbage Bake
“I revised this old recipe by using ground turkey instead of ground beef (to make it healthier), by finely chopping the cabbage to improve texture and by adding thyme," explains Irene Gutz of Fort Dodge, Iowa. "Crescent rolls help it go together quickly, and it’s often requested.”
6 ServingsPrep: 30 min. Bake: 15 min.
- 2 tubes (8 ounces each) refrigerated crescent rolls
- 1-1/2 pounds ground turkey
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup finely chopped carrot
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 2 cups finely chopped cabbage
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed cream of mushroom soup, undiluted
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- Unroll one tube of crescent dough into one long rectangle; seal seams
- and perforations. Press onto the bottom of a greased 13-in. x 9-in.
- baking dish. Bake at 425° for 6-8 minutes or until golden brown.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet, cook the turkey, onion and carrot over
- medium heat until meat is no longer pink. Add garlic; cook 1 minute
- longer. Drain. Add the cabbage, soup and thyme. Pour over crust;
- sprinkle with cheese.
- On a lightly floured surface, press second tube of crescent dough
- into a 13-in. x 9-in. rectangle, sealing seams and perforations.
- Place over casserole.
- Bake, uncovered, at 375° for 14-16 minutes or until crust is