Turkey Burritos with Fresh Fruit Salsa Recipe
- 1 pint grape tomatoes, quartered
- 1 medium mango, peeled and chopped
- 2 medium kiwifruit, peeled and chopped
- 3 green onions, thinly sliced
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped red onion
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 1 pound lean ground turkey
- 1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 cup Burgundy wine or reduced-sodium beef broth
- 1 jar (16 ounces) salsa
- 2 cups frozen corn, thawed
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 10 whole wheat tortilla (8 inches), warmed
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese
- 1. For salsa, combine the first seven ingredients. Chill until serving.
- 2. In a large nonstick skillet, cook the turkey, turmeric and cumin in oil over medium heat until turkey is no longer pink. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Drain. Stir in wine. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 3-5 minutes or until thickened.
- 3. Stir in the salsa, corn and black beans. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 10-15 minutes or until thickened. Remove from the heat.
- 4. Spoon about 1/2 cup turkey mixture off center on each tortilla. Sprinkle with cheese. Fold sides and ends over filling and roll up. Serve with salsa. Yield: 10 servings.
1 burrito with 1/3 cup salsa equals 371 calories, 11 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 44 mg cholesterol, 553 mg sodium, 47 g carbohydrate, 6 g fiber, 18 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 starch, 2 lean meat.