Turkey Burgers with Mango Salsa Recipe
- 1/2 cup dry bread crumbs
- 1/3 cup reduced-fat garlic-herb spreadable cheese
- 2 green onions, chopped
- 4-1/2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1-1/2 teaspoons grated lemon peel
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh thyme or 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1-1/2 pounds lean ground turkey
- 6 whole wheat hamburger buns, split
- 3/4 cup mango salsa
- 1. In a large bowl, combine the first eight ingredients. Crumble turkey over mixture and mix well. Shape into six patties.
- 2. Moisten a paper towel with cooking oil; using long-handled tongs, lightly coat the grill rack. Grill burgers, covered, over medium heat or broil 4 in. from the heat for 4-6 minutes on each side or until a thermometer reads 165° and juices run clear.
- 3. Grill buns, uncovered, for 1-2 minutes or until toasted. Place burgers on bun bottoms. Top with salsa. Replace bun tops. Yield: 6 servings.
1 burger equals 359 calories, 14 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 98 mg cholesterol, 825 mg sodium, 31 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 26 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 2 starch.
Medium-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied red wine such as Chianti, Sangiovese, Malbec or Zinfandel.