- 2 large sweet onions, cut into 1/8-inch slices
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon butter
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh thyme or 2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 2 green onions, chopped
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 1-1/4 pounds lean ground turkey
- 6 hamburger buns, split
- In a large nonstick skillet over low heat, cook onions in oil and butter for 1 hour or until tender, stirring occasionally. Sprinkle with the sugar, salt and pepper; cook over medium-low heat for 45-60 minutes or until golden brown, stirring occasionally. Sprinkle with thyme; keep warm.
- In a large bowl, combine the green onions, Worcestershire sauce and pepper sauce; crumble turkey over mixture and mix well. Shape into six patties.
- Using long-handled tongs, moisten a paper towel with cooking oil and lightly coat the grill rack. Grill burgers, covered, over medium-hot heat or broil 4 in. from the heat for 5-7 minutes on each side or until a meat thermometer reads 165° and juices run clear. Serve on buns with caramelized onions. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Turkey Burgers with Caramelized Onions in Taste of Home August/September 2007, p18
Medium-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied red wine such as Chianti, Sangiovese, Malbec or Zinfandel.
Reviews for Turkey Burgers with Caramelized Onions
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
More Recipe Collections
- All Taste of Home Magazine Recipes >
- Burger Recipes >
- Comfort Food Recipes >
- Diabetic Recipes >
- Diabetic Sandwich Recipes >
- Grilling Hamburgers >
- Grilling Recipes >
- Hot Sandwich Recipes >
- Irish Recipes >
- July 4th Recipes >
- Labor Day Recipes >
- Low Fat Recipes >
- Low Fat Sandwiches >
- Memorial Day Recipes >