Turkey Burgers with Blueberry BBQ Sauce Recipe
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 2 cups fresh or frozen blueberries, thawed
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 chipotle pepper in adobo sauce, chopped
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 pound lean ground turkey
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
- 4 slices reduced-fat provolone cheese
- 4 whole wheat hamburger buns, split
- 1/2 cup fresh baby spinach
- 1. In a large skillet, cook onion and garlic in oil over medium heat until tender. Stir in the blueberries, brown sugar, pepper, vinegar, mustard and Worcestershire sauce. Cook and stir until thickened, about 10 minutes. Cool slightly. Transfer to a food processor; cover and process until smooth.
- 2. Shape turkey into four patties; sprinkle with salt and pepper. Place mushrooms on a double thickness of heavy-duty foil (about 12 in. square). Fold foil around mushrooms and seal tightly.
- 3. Grill burgers and mushroom packet, covered, over medium heat for 5-7 minutes on each side or until a thermometer inserted into the burgers reads 165° and juices run clear. Top burgers with cheese; cover and grill 1-2 minutes longer or until cheese is melted.
- 4. Place buns, cut side down, on grill for 1-2 minutes or until toasted. Serve burgers on buns with mushrooms, spinach and blueberry sauce. Yield: 4 servings.
1 burger equals 433 calories, 16 g fat (5 g saturated fat), 100 mg cholesterol, 912 mg sodium, 44 g carbohydrate, 6 g fiber, 30 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 4 lean meat, 3 starch, 1/2 fat.
Medium-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied red wine such as Chianti, Sangiovese, Malbec or Zinfandel.