Turkey Burgers with Avocado Sauce Recipe
- 1 cup fresh or frozen corn, thawed
- 1/2 cup chopped red onion
- 1 small sweet red pepper, chopped
- 2 jalapeno peppers, seeded and minced
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/8 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 pound extra-lean ground turkey
- 1 medium ripe avocado, peeled
- 1/2 cup fat-free sour cream
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh cilantro
- 2 teaspoons lime juice
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 4 whole wheat hamburger buns, split
- Shredded lettuce and reduced-fat Mexican cheese blend, optional
- Sliced tomato and red onion, optional
- 1. In a large skillet, saute the corn, onion and peppers in oil until crisp-tender. Stir in the lime juice, garlic, salt, cumin, chili powder and oregano; cook 1 minute longer. Transfer to a large bowl and cool slightly. Crumble turkey over mixture and mix well. Shape into four burgers. Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.
- 2. For sauce, in a small bowl, mash avocado with the sour cream, cilantro, lime juice, garlic and salt. Refrigerate until serving.
- 3. Using long-handled tongs, moisten a paper towel with cooking oil and lightly coat the grill rack. Grill burgers, covered, over medium heat or broil 4 in. from the heat for 5-7 minutes on each side or until a meat thermometer reads 165° and juices run clear.
- 4. Place on buns; top each with about 1/4 cup sauce. Serve with the lettuce, cheese, tomato and onion if desired. Yield: 4 servings.
1 each: 413 calories, 13g fat (2g saturated fat), 50mg cholesterol, 678mg sodium, 43g carbohydrate (9g sugars, 8g fiber), 37g protein
Reviews for Turkey Burgers with Avocado Sauce
"This was really good. My husband cringes at the mention of turkey burgers, but he really liked this one. Will make again!"
"These were good. Mine turned out a bit too moist. May cut back on the veggies next time. Did love the sauce."
"I used green peppers instead of red and lemon instead of lime (as a didn't have the ingredients the directions called for) and they came out great! Love"
"The turkey was tasty even with the veges, and the sauce was outstanding! Definately make it again:)"
"This was a great first-turkey-burger pick! The sauce is a must and the turkey burgers have an awesome southwestern kick!"
"I'm giving this five stars because both of my picky kids are it! Great flavor!"
"My family LOVES this recipe! Instead of making burgers, though, I have turned it into a taco type recipe. Just cook all of the ingredients together in a skillet and scoop onto a tortilla. We use the avocado sauce, but no cheese. It is much quicker than having to make the burgers and chill."
"These were delicious!!! I didn't even have the avocado sauce on mine and it was amazing. Exceeded my expectations."
"These turkey burgers are delicious! Moist and flavorful. They turn out well on an indoor grill, too."
"I thought these were very good, but the avocado sauce overwhelms the burgers a bit. Next time I won't put quite as much sauce on."
"this is my go to burger...my daughter loves it!"
"My family loves these burgers. They are delicious, and healthy. I had to start making a double batch because they wanted seconds!"
"I made them as is and with ground chicken and they are sooo good. The family loves them. Thanks for the recipe."
"These burgers were delicious. The only change I would make is using LESS corn (I used fresh): it was popping and exploding as the burgers were being cooked on a gas grill. I would also make less of the sauce: you really don't need a large amount on the burger: too much makes it sloppy to eat."
"This was soooo good will definitely make again. The sauce was great."
"Turkey burgers turn out so nicely, I'd not trade them for anything. The only thing we'd change is the sauce, as some of my family is deathly allergic to avocados and cannot eat it. I'd use salsa instead, it does not hurt them and is so good on a burger like this."
"We really liked this. I didn't have any fresh peppers on hand, so I used a can of green chilies instead. A fun alternative to regular hamburgers! The sauce is amazing and a must for these!"
"We really liked the burgers. Next time I'll make 5 patties with the listed ingredients. We don't care for avocado sauce and topped the burgers with salsa instead."
"We enjoyed these burgers. I used only 3/4 cup frozen corn and one jalapeno (next time I will use two) and made them into five patties. Grilled them on the Foreman grill for 4-5 minutes. The avocado sauce was wonderful. We only needed 2-3 Tablespoons per burger. Next time I will omit the optional cheese as it was lost in the combination and not really needed. Served it with a red cabbage and carrot slaw and Sunchips and it was a very filling meal."
"These are really good! I used 1 1/4 pound lean turkey and made them into 8 patties instead of 4. The grilling time was the same."
Medium-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied red wine such as Chianti, Sangiovese, Malbec or Zinfandel.