I originally got this recipe from my daughter-in-law, who likes to cook healthy meals. I just added my Texas touch to give the chunky turkey sandwiches some zip. I serve them a cranberry salad. —Arlene Anderson of San Antonio, Texas
- 1 celery rib, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped green pepper
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 1/4 cup picante sauce
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1-1/2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Dash hot pepper sauce
- 4 cups cubed cooked turkey
- 8 whole wheat hamburger buns, split
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- In a large nonstick skillet, saute the celery, onion and green pepper in oil for 3-4 minutes or until tender. Stir in the brown sugar, ketchup, picante sauce, Worcestershire sauce, chili powder, salt, pepper and pepper sauce; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 3-4 minutes. Add turkey; simmer 10 minutes longer or until heated through. Serve in buns. Yield: 8 servings.
Originally published as Turkey Barbecue in Light & Tasty February/March 2005, p29
Enjoy this recipe with a blush wine such as White Zinfandel or a Rosé.
Reviews for Turkey BBQ
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review