I originally got this recipe from my daughter-in-law, who likes to cook healthy meals. I just added my Texas touch to give the chunky turkey sandwiches some zip. I serve them a cranberry salad. —Arlene Anderson of San Antonio, Texas
- 1 celery rib, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped green pepper
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 1/4 cup picante sauce
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1-1/2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Dash hot pepper sauce
- 4 cups cubed cooked turkey
- 8 whole wheat hamburger buns, split
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- In a large nonstick skillet, saute the celery, onion and green pepper in oil for 3-4 minutes or until tender. Stir in the brown sugar, ketchup, picante sauce, Worcestershire sauce, chili powder, salt, pepper and pepper sauce; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 3-4 minutes. Add turkey; simmer 10 minutes longer or until heated through. Serve in buns. Yield: 8 servings.
Originally published as Turkey Barbecue in Light & Tasty February/March 2005, p29
Enjoy this recipe with a blush wine such as White Zinfandel or a Rosé.
Reviews for Turkey BBQ
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Jun. 6, 2015
"Super easy to make and flavorful"