This low-calorie soup is so quick to prepare and tastes so good. It's a real stomach-filler and warms us up on cold winter days. -Denise Kilgore of Lino Lakes, Minnesota
Featured In: 51 Cozy Slow Cooker Soups
- 1 pound lean ground turkey
- 3/4 cup sliced or baby carrots
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 celery rib, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 envelope reduced-sodium taco seasoning, divided
- 3-1/2 cups water
- 1 can (28 ounces) Italian diced tomatoes, undrained
- 3/4 cup quick-cooking barley
- 1/2 teaspoon minced fresh oregano or 1/8 teaspoon dried oregano
- In a Dutch oven, cook the turkey, carrots, onion, celery, garlic and 1 tablespoon taco seasoning over medium heat until meat is no longer pink. Stir in the water, tomatoes and remaining taco seasoning; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 20 minutes. Add barley; cover and simmer for 15-20 minutes longer or until barley is tender. Stir in oregano. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Turkey Barley Tomato Soup in Light & Tasty December/January 2004, p27
Reviews for Turkey Barley Tomato Soup
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Apr. 7, 2012
"Excellent and fast!"
Reviewed Aug. 20, 2011
"Everyone loved the recipe. Used it for a church potluck and shared the recipe with everyone there."
Reviewed Nov. 8, 2010
"This recipe was a hit with the whole family. It is hearty and super easy to make."