Turkey Barley Soup
I originally created this recipe as a way to use leftover Thanksgiving turkey. I think you'll agree it's too good to serve only once a year! It makes a hearty meal with homemade bread.
8 ServingsPrep: 15 min. Cook: 70 min.
- 1-1/2 cups sliced carrots
- 1-1/2 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 cup thinly sliced celery
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 9 cups turkey broth
- 2 cups cubed cooked turkey
- 1/2 cup medium pearl barley
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- In a 3-qt. saucepan, saute carrots, mushrooms, celery and onion in
- oil for 20 minutes or until tender. Add remaining ingredients; bring
- to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 50-60 minutes or until
- barley is tender. Discard bay leaves before serving. Yield: 8
- servings (2 quarts).
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 cup) equals 174 calories, 6 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 27 mg cholesterol, 1,094 mg sodium, 16 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 15 g protein.