I originally created this recipe as a way to use leftover Thanksgiving turkey. I think you'll agree it's too good to serve only once a year! It makes a hearty meal with homemade bread.
- 1-1/2 cups sliced carrots
- 1-1/2 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 cup thinly sliced celery
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 9 cups turkey broth
- 2 cups cubed cooked turkey
- 1/2 cup medium pearl barley
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- In a 3-qt. saucepan, saute carrots, mushrooms, celery and onion in oil for 20 minutes or until tender. Add remaining ingredients; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 50-60 minutes or until barley is tender. Discard bay leaves before serving. Yield: 8 servings (2 quarts).
Originally published as Turkey Barley Soup in Home-Style Soups, Salad and Sandwiches Cookbook 1996, p21
Reviews for Turkey Barley Soup
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review