Turkey Apple Stuffing Recipe
- 1-1/2 cups chopped celery
- 3/4 cup chopped onion
- 3/4 cup butter, cubed
- 9 cups day-old cubed whole wheat bread
- 3 cups finely chopped apples
- 3/4 cup raisins
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1-1/2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon rubbed sage
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 turkey (14 to 16 pounds)
- Additional butter, melted
- 1. In a Dutch oven, saute celery and onion in butter until tender. Remove from the heat; stir in the bread cubes, apples, raisins, salt, thyme, sage and pepper.
- 2. Just before baking, loosely stuff turkey with 4 cups stuffing. Place remaining stuffing in a greased 2-qt. baking dish; refrigerate until ready to bake. Skewer turkey openings; tie drumsticks together. Place breast side up on a rack in a roasting pan. Brush with melted butter.
- 3. Bake, uncovered, at 325° for 3-3/4 to 4 hours or until a thermometer reads 180° for the turkey and 165° for the stuffing, basting occasionally with pan drippings. (Cover loosely with foil if turkey browns too quickly.)
- 4. Bake additional stuffing, covered, for 20-30 minutes. Uncover; bake 10 minutes longer or until browned. Cover turkey and let stand for 20 minutes before removing stuffing and carving turkey. If desired, thicken pan drippings for gravy. Yield: 10-12 servings.
1 serving (1 each) equals 839 calories, 41 g fat (16 g saturated fat), 317 mg cholesterol, 774 mg sodium, 27 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 88 g protein.
Reviews for Turkey Apple Stuffing
"Great stuffing recipe. Made it exactly the way it is written and it came out tasting like more!!"
"Haven't made yet, but sounds delicious. One instuction I think shouild be added is to let the stuffing cool before placing in turkey cavity."
"Apple stuffing tastes so much better than normal stuffing that my family wants it as often as they can have it. Since my son is an awesome cook, he tends to take over and cook Christmas dinner and this stuffing is one he makes every year."
Medium-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied white wine such as Riesling or Gewürtztraminer