- 1-1/2 cups chopped celery
- 3/4 cup chopped onion
- 3/4 cup butter, cubed
- 9 cups day-old cubed whole wheat bread
- 3 cups finely chopped apples
- 3/4 cup raisins
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1-1/2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon rubbed sage
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 turkey (14 to 16 pounds)
- Additional butter, melted
- In a Dutch oven, saute celery and onion in butter until tender. Remove from the heat; stir in the bread cubes, apples, raisins, salt, thyme, sage and pepper.
- Just before baking, loosely stuff turkey with 4 cups stuffing. Place remaining stuffing in a greased 2-qt. baking dish; refrigerate until ready to bake. Skewer turkey openings; tie drumsticks together. Place breast side up on a rack in a roasting pan. Brush with melted butter.
- Bake, uncovered, at 325° for 3-3/4 to 4 hours or until a thermometer reads 180° for the turkey and 165° for the stuffing, basting occasionally with pan drippings. (Cover loosely with foil if turkey browns too quickly.)
- Bake additional stuffing, covered, for 20-30 minutes. Uncover; bake 10 minutes longer or until browned. Cover turkey and let stand for 20 minutes before removing stuffing and carving turkey. If desired, thicken pan drippings for gravy. Yield: 10-12 servings.
Reviews forTurkey Apple Stuffing
"Great stuffing recipe. Made it exactly the way it is written and it came out tasting like more!!"
"Haven't made yet, but sounds delicious. One instuction I think shouild be added is to let the stuffing cool before placing in turkey cavity."