Turkey and Vegetable Meat Loaf Recipe
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup shredded carrots
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1-1/2 cups crushed saltines (about 45 crackers)
- 3/4 cup ketchup, divided
- 1/4 cup minced fresh parsley
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 4 teaspoons ground mustard, divided
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 2-1/2 pounds lean ground turkey
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1. In a large skillet, saute the onion, carrots and celery in oil until tender. In a large bowl, combine the onion mixture, cracker crumbs, 1/2 cup ketchup, parsley, egg, 2 teaspoons mustard, salt, garlic and pepper. Crumble turkey over mixture and mix well.
- 2. Shape into a loaf. Place in a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 1 hour.
- 3. In a small bowl, combine the brown sugar and remaining ketchup and mustard until smooth. Spoon over meat loaf. Bake 10-20 minutes longer or until meat is no longer pink and a meat thermometer reads 160°; drain. Let stand for 10 minutes before slicing. Yield: 8 servings.
2 slices equals 344 calories, 16 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 139 mg cholesterol, 1,158 mg sodium, 22 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 28 g protein.
Light-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied red wine such as Pinot Noir.