Turkey 'n' Swiss Calzones Recipe
These savory stuffed sandwiches are great when you're short on time. As the dough rises, you can prepare the simple filling and tend to other parts of your meal.—Suzie Salle, Renton, Washington
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 25 min. + rising Bake: 25 min. YIELD:8 servings
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 4-1/2 teaspoons quick-rise yeast
- 2 teaspoons brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/2 cups water
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 3-1/2 cups cubed cooked turkey
- 1-1/2 cups (6 ounces) shredded Swiss cheese
- 3 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1. In a large bowl, combine 3 cups flour, yeast, brown sugar and salt. In a small saucepan, heat water and oil to 120°-130°. Add to dry ingredients; beat until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough.
- 2. Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 4 minutes. Cover and let rest in a warm place for 15 minutes.
- 3. Meanwhile, in a large bowl, combine the turkey, cheese and mustard. Divide dough into eight pieces.
- 4. On a floured surface, roll each piece into a 7-in. circle. Place filling on half of each circle. Fold dough over filling; pinch seams to seal.
- 5. Place on greased baking sheets. Brush with egg. Bake at 375° for 25-30 minutes or until golden brown. Yield: 8 servings.
1 serving (1 piece) equals 484 calories, 16 g fat (6 g saturated fat), 93 mg cholesterol, 325 mg sodium, 51 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 32 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC