- 4-5 minutes longer or until fork-tender. Cover and let stand for 15
- minutes. Cut squash in half lengthwise; discard seeds. Scoop out
- squash, separating strands with a fork; set aside.
- In a large saucepan, cook turkey and onion in 1-1/2 teaspoons oil
- over medium heat until meat is no longer pink. Add garlic; cook 1
- minute longer. Drain. Stir in the tomatoes, tomato paste, parsley,
- sugar and seasonings. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer
- for 30 minutes.
- In a small bowl, combine the egg, ricotta and 3/4 cup Parmesan until
- blended. In a small skillet, saute zucchini in remaining oil until
- Spread 1-1/2 cups meat sauce into a 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish coated
- with cooking spray. Layer with three noodles and half of the
- zucchini, spaghetti squash and ricotta mixture. Sprinkle with 1-1/2
- cups mozzarella and half of remaining sauce. Top with the remaining
- noodles, zucchini, spaghetti squash, ricotta mixture and sauce (dish
- will be full).
- Place dish on a baking sheet. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 45-55
- minutes or until edges are bubbly. Sprinkle with remaining
- mozzarella and Parmesan cheeses. Bake 5 minutes longer or until
- cheese is melted. Let stand for 10 minutes before cutting. Yield: 12
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving equals 311 calories, 12 g fat (5 g saturated fat), 72 mg cholesterol, 548 mg sodium, 31 g carbohydrate, 5 g fiber, 22 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 2 lean meat, 1 fat.
Wine: Medium-Bodied Red Wine: Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied red wine such as Chianti, Sangiovese, Malbec or Zinfandel.