I came up with this lasagna recipe when spaghetti squash was on sale at the supermarket, and it was a hit with all my friends. I used ground turkey because I'm trying to cook healthier. —Nancy Beall, Colorado Springs, Colorado
- 1 medium spaghetti squash (2 to 2-1/2 pounds)
- 1 pound lean ground turkey
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil, divided
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cans (28 ounces each) crushed tomatoes
- 1 can (6 ounces) tomato paste
- 1/3 cup minced fresh parsley
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1 carton (15 ounces) reduced-fat ricotta cheese
- 3/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese, divided
- 2 medium zucchini, sliced
- 6 lasagna noodles, cooked and drained
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese, divided
- With a sharp knife, pierce spaghetti squash 10 times. Place on a microwave-safe plate; microwave on high for 5-6 minutes. Turn; cook 4-5 minutes longer or until fork-tender. Cover and let stand for 15 minutes. Cut squash in half lengthwise; discard seeds. Scoop out squash, separating strands with a fork; set aside.
- In a large saucepan, cook turkey and onion in 1-1/2 teaspoons oil over medium heat until meat is no longer pink. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Drain. Stir in the tomatoes, tomato paste, parsley, sugar and seasonings. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 30 minutes.
- In a small bowl, combine the egg, ricotta and 3/4 cup Parmesan until blended. In a small skillet, saute zucchini in remaining oil until crisp-tender.
- Spread 1-1/2 cups meat sauce into a 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish coated with cooking spray. Layer with three noodles and half of the zucchini, spaghetti squash and ricotta mixture. Sprinkle with 1-1/2 cups mozzarella and half of remaining sauce. Top with the remaining noodles, zucchini, spaghetti squash, ricotta mixture and sauce (dish will be full).
- Place dish on a baking sheet. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 45-55 minutes or until edges are bubbly. Sprinkle with remaining mozzarella and Parmesan cheeses. Bake 5 minutes longer or until cheese is melted. Let stand for 10 minutes before cutting. Yield: 12 servings.
Originally published as Turkey 'n' Squash Lasagna in Taste of Home June/July 2008, p58
Medium-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied white wine such as Riesling or Gewürtztraminer
Reviews for Turkey 'n' Squash Lasagna
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review