- Kitchen string
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- For pesto, place the sage, parsley, Parmesan cheese, garlic and salt
- in a food processor; cover and process until blended. While
- processing, gradually add oil in a steady stream; set aside.
- In a large skillet, saute fennel and onion in butter until tender.
- Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Stir in salt and pepper. In a
- large bowl, combine the bread cubes, pears, hazelnuts, fennel
- mixture and 1/2 cup reserved pesto. In another bowl, whisk broth and
- egg substitute. Pour over bread mixture; stir until moistened. Cover
- and refrigerate until assembly.
- Place turkey skin side down on a work surface; press 5 cups stuffing
- mixture over turkey. Layer with duck skin side down and 4 cups
- stuffing. Top with chicken skin side down and remaining stuffing.
- Carefully pull turkey skin over filling. Truss turkey skin at 1-in.
- intervals with a large needle and kitchen string. Tuck wings under
- turkey; tie drumsticks together. Place breast side up on a rack in a
- roasting pan. Brush with oil.
- Bake, uncovered, at 325° for 5-1/4 to 5-3/4 hours or until a
- thermometer reads 180° in the center of turducken, basting
- occasionally with pan drippings. Cover loosely with foil if turkey
- browns too quickly. During the last 30 minutes of cooking, brush
- remaining pesto over turducken. Cover and let stand for 20 minutes
- before slicing. Yield: 36 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving equals 470 calories, 28 g fat (9 g saturated fat), 152 mg cholesterol, 312 mg sodium, 9 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 43 g protein.
Wine: Full-Bodied White Wine: Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.