Tunnel of Berries Cake Recipe
Meet the Cook: This cake goes a long way. While it's not overly sweet or heavy, its rich taste makes just one piece satisfying. Here's a serving alternative if your family doesn't care for strawberries: Think about substituting peaches. -Shirley Noe, Lebanon Junction, Kentucky
- 6 eggs, separated
- 2-1/4 cups cake flour
- 2 cups sugar, divided
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup water
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 4 cups fresh whole strawberries, divided
- 2-1/2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1. Let eggs stand at room temperature for 30 minutes. In a large bowl, combine the flour, 1 cup sugar, baking powder, cinnamon and salt. In a bowl, whisk the egg yolks, water, oil and 1 teaspoon vanilla; add to dry ingredient. Beat until well blended. In another large bowl and with clean beater, beat egg whites and cream of tartar on medium speed until soft peaks form. Fold into yolk mixture.
- 2. Gently spoon batter into an ungreased 10-in. tube pan. Cut through the batter with a knife to remove air pockets. Bake at 325° for 60-70 minutes or until top springs back when lightly touched and cracks feel dry. Immediately invert pan; cool completely. Run a knife around sides and center tube of pan. Invert cake onto a serving plate.
- 3. Slice off the top 1/2 in of the cake; set aside. With a knife, cut a tunnel abut 1-1/2 in. deep in top of cake, leaving a 3/4-in. shell. Remove cake from tunnel and save for another use. Chop half of the strawberries; set aside. In a chilled large bowl, beat whipping cream until it begins to thicken. Gradually add the remaining sugar and vanilla, beating until stiff peaks form. Combine 1-1/2 cups cream mixture and chopped berries.
- 4. Fill the tunnel with strawberry mixture. Replace cake top. Frost cake with the remaining cream mixture. Refrigerate. Just before serving, cut the remaining strawberries in half and use to garnish the cake. Refrigerate leftovers. Yield: 12 servings.
1 piece: 527 calories, 30g fat (13g saturated fat), 174mg cholesterol, 299mg sodium, 59g carbohydrate (37g sugars, 2g fiber), 7g protein.
Reviews for Tunnel of Berries Cake
© 2017 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC