Tunnel of Berries Cake Recipe
- 6 eggs, separated
- 2-1/4 cups cake flour
- 2 cups sugar, divided
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup water
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 4 cups fresh whole strawberries, divided
- 2-1/2 cups heavy whipping cream
- Let eggs stand at room temperature for 30 minutes. In a large bowl, combine the flour, 1 cup sugar, baking powder, cinnamon and salt. In a bowl, whisk the egg yolks, water, oil and 1 teaspoon vanilla; add to dry ingredient. Beat until well blended. In another large bowl and with clean beater, beat egg whites and cream of tartar on medium speed until soft peaks form. Fold into yolk mixture.
- Gently spoon batter into an ungreased 10-in. tube pan. Cut through the batter with a knife to remove air pockets. Bake at 325° for 60-70 minutes or until top springs back when lightly touched and cracks feel dry. Immediately invert pan; cool completely. Run a knife around sides and center tube of pan. Invert cake onto a serving plate.
- Slice off the top 1/2 in of the cake; set aside. With a knife, cut a tunnel abut 1-1/2 in. deep in top of cake, leaving a 3/4-in. shell. Remove cake from tunnel and save for another use. Chop half of the strawberries; set aside. In a chilled large bowl, beat whipping cream until it begins to thicken. Gradually add the remaining sugar and vanilla, beating until stiff peaks form. Combine 1-1/2 cups cream mixture and chopped berries.
- Fill the tunnel with strawberry mixture. Replace cake top. Frost cake with the remaining cream mixture. Refrigerate. Just before serving, cut the remaining strawberries in half and use to garnish the cake. Refrigerate leftovers. Yield: 12 servings.
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.
Reviews for Tunnel of Berries Cake(1)
Sort By :
Deliciously different from the usual tunnel-filled angel cake. The texture of the cake is interesting and very nice contrast to the creamy filling and frosting. I have made both the strawberry and peach versions. I do not know which I like better!