- 2 cans (6-1/8 ounces each) water-packed tuna, drained
- 1/2 cup seasoned dry bread crumbs
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1/4 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1 egg, beaten
- 4 medium fresh tomatoes
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded mozzarella cheese
- Sour cream, optional
- In a bowl, separate tuna into very small pieces. Add bread crumbs, onion, mustard, cayenne pepper, Italian seasoning and egg; mix well. In a medium saucepan, cook mixture for 2-3 minutes over medium heat. Set aside. Slice off 1/2 in. of each tomato top. Leaving a 1/4-in.-thick shell, scoop out pulp and discard. Spoon tuna mixture into shells and place in a baking dish. Top with mozzarella cheese and brown lightly under broiler. Garnish with sour cream if desired. Yield: 4 servings.
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied white wine such as Sauvignon Blanc or Pinot Grigio.
Reviews for Tuna-Stuffed Tomatoes(2)
Sort By :
This sounded really good but not sure about only cooking that GLOP with the raw egg in it for 2 or 3 minutes. Then putting it under the broiler to just brown the cheese topping wouldn't further cook it. Might rethink it and sub something else for the raw egg. Anyone else have a thought on the matter ???
I added minced shallots instead of the onion and diced celery, drizzled a little E.V.O.O. over the top and baked for 20 min. before broiling - FANTASTIC!! Also used provolone cheese with the mozzarella, and yummo!!