- 1/2 cup water
- 1 teaspoon chicken bouillon granules
- 1 package (9 ounces) frozen cut green beans
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1/4 cup chopped celery
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon dill weed
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 4 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1-1/2 cups cold milk
- 1/2 cup shredded Swiss cheese
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 2-1/2 cups egg noodles, cooked and drained
- 1 can (12 ounces) light tuna in water, drained and flaked
- 1/3 cup dry bread crumbs
- 1 tablespoon butter
- In a large saucepan, bring water and bouillon to a boil; stir until bouillon is dissolved. Add the next eight ingredients; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 5 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- In a small bowl, combine cornstarch and milk until smooth; gradually add to vegetable mixture. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Remove from the heat; stir in cheese and mayonnaise until cheese is melted. Fold in noodles and tuna.
- Pour into a greased 2-1/2-qt. baking dish. In a small skillet, brown bread crumbs in butter; sprinkle over casserole. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until heated through. Yield: 4-6 servings.
Light-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied white wine such as Sauvignon Blanc or Pinot Grigio.
Reviews for Tuna Mushroom Casserole
Sort By :
"My husband grew up thinking that Tuna Noodle Casseroles were "icky", and back when he was growing up in the 50's and 60's, cooks just threw together some canned tuna, cream of mushroom soup, noodles and maybe some canned peas. No culinary art to those renditions at all.He certainly eats this one, however!! I've cooked this version since it came out in the "Taste of Home" magazine many years ago! To make it even more upscale and updated, I have always used 2 FRESH tuna steaks, cut into a 1/2 " dice instead of canned tuna, and the tuna is cooked when the casserole goes in the oven, not beforehand. I also use canned chicken broth (1/2 C.) instead of the bouillon. Everything else in the recipe stays the same. It's so good to have some fresh veggies to add flavor to the sauce. My children have always eaten this one as well."
"This is how a tuna casserole is supposed to taste. Very delicious. Comfort food with a healthy kick. Love all the veggies in it."
"easy & very satisfying. good base to which planned and impromptu variation can be brought."
"I almost have this recipe memorized. I used to dislike tuna casserole very much but this one with the swiss cheese sauce, WOW! I actually crave this. I double the sauce and 1 1/2 times the noodles because I don't like it too dry, I also only put half of the tuna and am dying to try it with chicken but I don't know if it would be as good. Everyone love it. I also chop the mushrooms very tiny so my son doesn't even know that they're in there. (smiles) This is my most favorite recipe of all time. Try it!"
"it doesn´t has a lot of flavor ,, it didnt taste it ... I´m not making again, my husband didnt like it. Check better Tuna Mushroom Casserole in this website is better... tastes reaally good."