Looking for a fun and flavorful way to jazz up hot dogs? Try these bacon-wrapped versions with zippy Dijon mustard. "They don't take long to fix," assures Myra Innes, Auburn, Kansas. "And your tummy will thank you."
- 8 bacon strips
- 8 hot dogs
- 4 ounces Monterey Jack cheese, cut into strips
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 1/4 cup Dijon mustard
- 8 hot dog buns
- 1 small onion, thinly sliced, optional
- 1 can (4 ounces) diced green chilies, optional
- Partially cook bacon; drain on paper towels. Cut a 1/4-in. lengthwise slit in each hot dog; place cheese in each slit. Starting at one end, wrap bacon in a spiral around hot dog; secure with toothpicks.
- Split buns just halfway. Combine butter and mustard; spread inside buns. Set aside.
- On a covered grill over medium heat, cook hot dogs with cheese side down for 2 minutes. Place buns on grill with cut side down; grill until lightly toasted. Remove toothpicks from the hot dogs; serve in buns with onion and chilies if desired. Yield: 8 sandwiches.
Originally published as Tummy Dogs in Quick Cooking May/June 1998, p19
Reviews for Tummy Dogs
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review