Truly Texan Chili Recipe
- 3 pounds ground turkey or beef
- 2 to 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 to 3 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) beef broth
- 1 can (15 ounces) pinto beans, rinsed and drained, optional
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Optional garnishes: shredded cheddar cheese, tortilla chips, sour cream and/or lime wedges
- In a Dutch oven, cook beef and garlic over medium heat until no longer pink; drain. Combine the flour, chili powder, oregano and cumin; sprinkle over meat, stirring until evenly coated. Add the broth, beans if desired, salt and pepper.
- Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1-1/2 to 2 hours to allow flavors to blend, stirring occasionally. Sprinkle with cheese, tortilla chips, sour cream and/or lime wedges if desired. Yield: 8 servings.
Reviews for Truly Texan Chili
Sort By :
Yummy and super easy!
Yummy! The chili is a great base recipe and doesn't disappoint. I added half a medium size onion with the meat and garlic, and then 2 tbsp. of Chipotle Tabasco sauce for an extra kick. We all loved it and it goes fantastically over spaghetti! I will definitely make this recipe again.
Chili is not chili unless it has beans in it, period. Whether it's from South Dakota or from New York. Where does it tell us what's truly a Chili Recipe or not. If you like beans, add them. If you like steak or ground beef, add it. This recipe says she is from Texas, not that it's a Texan chili, just that she enjoys it. And who say's a true texan chili doen't have ground beef? To the "bestteacher", who taught you that beans isn't truly Texas chili? Come on folks, just enjoy this recipe, it's good. I grew up using ground beef, we were poor growing up. But I appreciate all the other recipes that add cubes of beef, chicken, or no beans. To me, there all great!
The chili is good but you will never find a TRUE Texas Chili made of ground Beef.
Texas Chili does not contain beans, so this isn't truly Texas chili. However, you got the part about no tomatoes right. No tomatoes, no beans. Just spicy and beefy.