- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup baking cocoa
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 cups (12 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips
- 2/3 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 2 egg yolks
- Chocolate sprinkles
- Preheat oven to 400°. In a large bowl, beat butter and sugars until blended. Beat in egg and vanilla. In another bowl, whisk flour, cocoa and baking soda; gradually beat into creamed mixture.
- Shape level tablespoons of dough into 2-1/2-in.-wide patties. Press onto bottoms and up the sides of greased mini-muffin cups.
- Bake 8-10 minutes or until set. Immediately press a deep indentation in center of each with the end of a wooden spoon handle. Cool in pans 5 minutes. Remove to wire racks to cool completely.
- For filling, in a small heavy saucepan, combine chocolate chips, cream and butter; cook and stir over medium heat until smooth. Remove from heat.
- In a small bowl, whisk a small amount of hot mixture into egg yolks; return all to pan, whisking constantly. Cook over low heat 15-17 minutes or until mixture is thickened and a thermometer reads at least 160°, stirring constantly. Do not allow to boil. Immediately transfer filling to a bowl; cool 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Spoon 1 tablespoon filling into each crust. Top with sprinkles. Refrigerate until cold, about 1 hour. Yield: 2-1/2 dozen.
Reviews for Truffle-Filled Cookie Tarts
"Delicious. Perfect amount of dough for 30 cups. Dough is easy to handle. Twice as much filling as needed. You could double the dough or halve the filling. I am using my leftover filling on ice cream. You can't go wrong!"
"These are a bit time consuming, but a very rich, very special treat!"