I made chocolate truffles as a Christmas tradition for many years. I created this recipe to incorporate my truffles into the center of fudgy cookies. It was a hit with friends and family.—Patricia Harmon, Baden, Pennsylvania
Featured In: 30 Recipes for Valentine's Day Cookies
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup baking cocoa
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 cups (12 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips
- 2/3 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 2 egg yolks
- Chocolate sprinkles
- Preheat oven to 400°. In a large bowl, beat butter and sugars until blended. Beat in egg and vanilla. In another bowl, whisk flour, cocoa and baking soda; gradually beat into creamed mixture.
- Shape level tablespoons of dough into 2-1/2-in.-wide patties. Press onto bottoms and up the sides of greased mini-muffin cups.
- Bake 8-10 minutes or until set. Immediately press a deep indentation in center of each with the end of a wooden spoon handle. Cool in pans 5 minutes. Remove to wire racks to cool completely.
- For filling, in a small heavy saucepan, combine chocolate chips, cream and butter; cook and stir over medium heat until smooth. Remove from heat.
- In a small bowl, whisk a small amount of hot mixture into egg yolks; return all to pan, whisking constantly. Cook over low heat 15-17 minutes or until mixture is thickened and a thermometer reads at least 160°, stirring constantly. Do not allow to boil. Immediately transfer filling to a bowl; cool 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Spoon 1 tablespoon filling into each crust. Top with sprinkles. Refrigerate until cold, about 1 hour. Yield: 2-1/2 dozen.
Originally published as Truffle-Filled Cookie Tarts in Cookies & Candies Bookazine 2014, p48
Reviews for Truffle-Filled Cookie Tarts
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed May. 13, 2016
"These are a bit time consuming, but a very rich, very special treat!"