True Love Chocolate Cake Recipe
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 1-2/3 cups sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 2-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2/3 cup baking cocoa
- 1-1/4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1-1/4 cups water
- 1 cup (6 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 package (8 ounces) reduced-fat cream cheese
- 1/3 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 carton (8 ounces) frozen reduced-fat whipped topping, thawed
- 3/4 cup flaked coconut
- 1/2 cup candy hearts
- 1. In a large bowl, beat butter and sugar until crumbly, about 2 minutes. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in applesauce.
- 2. Combine the flour, cocoa, baking powder, salt and baking soda. Add to the butter mixture alternately with water, beating well after each addition. Fold in chips. Pour into a 13-in. x 9-in. baking pan coated with cooking spray.
- 3. Bake at 350° for 35-40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack.
- 4. For frosting, in a bowl, beat cream cheese and confectioners' sugar until smooth. Beat in vanilla. Fold in whipped topping. Frost cake. Refrigerate until serving. Just before serving, sprinkle with coconut and candy. Yield: 24 servings.
1 piece: 238 calories, 9g fat (6g saturated fat), 29mg cholesterol, 201mg sodium, 39g carbohydrate (24g sugars, 1g fiber), 4g protein.
Reviews for True Love Chocolate Cake
"I'd add a little red food coloring to the frosting."
"I just made this cake, its very dry. If you like moist cakes this is not for you. I baked it for 30 minutes five minutes less than they recommended. Would not make it again."
"Made this recipe, but cut it in half and made 12 cupcakes. I baked them for 25 minutes. Happy husband said " Very good.""
"I will bake less time as it got a bit dry...and my husband still loved it. He doesn't like coconut so I covered with toasted pecans & stuck candy corn in for Fall. I cut the 13x9 in half & made 2 layers with some of the frosting in the middle. Will be making it again soon for more people!"
"This cake was great, very moist and easy to make. It did not last long in my house. I have made a couple of times and enjoy it every time"
"I will take out of the oven a bit earlier--I followed the recommended time and I thought it was a bit overdone. The frosting/coconut is wonderful. It got rave reviews at our potluck luncheon."
"I make this for every special occasion. It's one cake that I just cannot resist. I use Giardelli chocolate chips for a winner every time!"
"I would make this again but change a few things. the cake is a little dry and I didn't like the chips in it. Maybe I'll melt the chips and stir into the batter. The frosting wasn't sweet enough, too much cream cheese so I'd decrease it and add a bit more sugar. The coconut did add sweetness but I didn't put it over the entire cake since my husband doesn't care for it.But he did like the cream cheese frosting."
"This cake was excellent. The texture was almost like a Brownie. I made it for friends and they said it is now their favorite."
"I love this recipe!! I have even made it for friends. I love the icing, very creamy, not too sweet. I have put coconut on top of the icing for an extra touch!!"
"I surprized my hubby by baking this cake, he normally doesn't like icing, but I iced it anyway. He LOVED it, as did everyone else... wonderful recipe."
"Made this cake for my husband's birthday. This is an excellent, moist cake. And the frosting is great. Would highly recommend this recipe. This recipe is definitely a keeper."
"This cake is seriously good! I made it tonight. It's amazing how moist the cake was immeditely after baking; most of the time, a cake has to set a day or two before it's moist. I like things sweet, so I doubled the confectioner's sugar. This cake is very rich and delicious. NO ONE will be able to tell that it's (somewhat) light :-)"
"HELP! I tried to view this recipe and it popped up that I had to subscribe to TOH or one of the other Reiman pub. I do--TOH, Country, Country Woman. How can I view the recipe?"
"I needed to make a birthday cake for a co-worker. I picked up my latest issue of healthy Cooking and went to the index to find desserts. When I saw the True Love Chocolate Cake I thought that the girls would like it because it was chocolate. Well, they more then liked it, they loved it! The flavor and texture of the cake along with the cream cheese frosting and sprinkle of coconut is amazing! I’m going to make it again. This time for my family!"