True Love Chocolate Cake Recipe
“A college roommate gave me this amazing recipe and it's been my favorite ever since. To use it for other holidays, just replace the hearts with appropriately-colored hard candies-like peppermints at Christmas.” Stephanie Basker - Caldwell, Idaho
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 35 min. Bake: 35 min. + cooling YIELD:24 servings
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 1-2/3 cups sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 2-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2/3 cup baking cocoa
- 1-1/4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1-1/4 cups water
- 1 cup (6 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 package (8 ounces) reduced-fat cream cheese
- 1/3 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 carton (8 ounces) frozen reduced-fat whipped topping, thawed
- 3/4 cup flaked coconut
- 1/2 cup candy hearts
- 1. In a large bowl, beat butter and sugar until crumbly, about 2 minutes. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in applesauce.
- 2. Combine the flour, cocoa, baking powder, salt and baking soda. Add to the butter mixture alternately with water, beating well after each addition. Fold in chips. Pour into a 13-in. x 9-in. baking pan coated with cooking spray.
- 3. Bake at 350° for 35-40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack.
- 4. For frosting, in a bowl, beat cream cheese and confectioners' sugar until smooth. Beat in vanilla. Fold in whipped topping. Frost cake. Refrigerate until serving. Just before serving, sprinkle with coconut and candy. Yield: 24 servings.
1 piece equals 238 calories, 9 g fat (6 g saturated fat), 29 mg cholesterol, 201 mg sodium, 39 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 4 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC