- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 1-2/3 cups sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 2-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2/3 cup baking cocoa
- 1-1/4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1-1/4 cups water
- 1 cup (6 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 package (8 ounces) reduced-fat cream cheese
- 1/3 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 carton (8 ounces) frozen reduced-fat whipped topping, thawed
- 3/4 cup flaked coconut
- 1/2 cup candy hearts
- In a large bowl, beat butter and sugar until crumbly, about 2 minutes. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in applesauce.
- Combine the flour, cocoa, baking powder, salt and baking soda. Add to the butter mixture alternately with water, beating well after each addition. Fold in chips. Pour into a 13-in. x 9-in. baking pan coated with cooking spray.
- Bake at 350° for 35-40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack.
- For frosting, in a bowl, beat cream cheese and confectioners' sugar until smooth. Beat in vanilla. Fold in whipped topping. Frost cake. Refrigerate until serving. Just before serving, sprinkle with coconut and candy. Yield: 24 servings.
Reviews for True Love Chocolate Cake
"I'd add a little red food coloring to the frosting."
"I just made this cake, its very dry. If you like moist cakes this is not for you. I baked it for 30 minutes five minutes less than they recommended. Would not make it again."
"Made this recipe, but cut it in half and made 12 cupcakes. I baked them for 25 minutes. Happy husband said " Very good.""
"I will bake less time as it got a bit dry...and my husband still loved it. He doesn't like coconut so I covered with toasted pecans & stuck candy corn in for Fall. I cut the 13x9 in half & made 2 layers with some of the frosting in the middle. Will be making it again soon for more people!"
"This cake was great, very moist and easy to make. It did not last long in my house. I have made a couple of times and enjoy it every time"
"I will take out of the oven a bit earlier--I followed the recommended time and I thought it was a bit overdone. The frosting/coconut is wonderful. It got rave reviews at our potluck luncheon."
"I would make this again but change a few things. the cake is a little dry and I didn't like the chips in it. Maybe I'll melt the chips and stir into the batter. The frosting wasn't sweet enough, too much cream cheese so I'd decrease it and add a bit more sugar. The coconut did add sweetness but I didn't put it over the entire cake since my husband doesn't care for it.But he did like the cream cheese frosting."
"This cake was excellent. The texture was almost like a Brownie. I made it for friends and they said it is now their favorite."