True Belgian Waffles
It was on a visit to my husband's relatives in Belgium that I was given this recipe. Back in the U.S., I served the waffles to his Belgian-born grandmother. She said they tasted just like home. Our grandkids love these waffles with any kind of topping: blueberries, strawberries, raspberries, fried apples, powdered sugar or whipped topping. —Rose Delemeester, St. Charles, Michigan
5 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 20 min.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 3-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 Eggland's Best Eggs, separated
- 1-1/2 cups milk
- 1 cup butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Sliced fresh strawberries or syrup
- In a bowl, combine flour, sugar and baking powder. In another bowl,
- lightly beat egg yolks. Add milk, butter and vanilla; mix well. Stir
- into dry ingredients just until combined. Beat egg whites until
- stiff peaks form; fold into batter.
- Bake in a preheated waffle iron according to manufacturer's
- directions until golden brown. Serve with strawberries or syrup.
- Yield: 10 waffles (about 4-1/2 inches).
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (2 each) equals 696 calories, 41 g fat (25 g saturated fat), 193 mg cholesterol, 712 mg sodium, 72 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 10 g protein.