Tropical Turnovers Recipe
Friends and family won't be able to stop nibbling on these tasty turnovers. Our home economists tuck a fruity filling inside tender pastry pockets.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 5 ounces cold cream cheese, cut into small pieces
- 3/4 cup cold butter, cut into small pieces
- 3 tablespoons cold water
- 1-1/4 cups finely chopped peeled mangoes
- 1/2 cup guava jelly
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh mint
- 1/2 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 2 teaspoons water
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1. In a large bowl, combine the flour, baking powder and salt; cut in cream cheese and butter until crumbly. Gradually add water, tossing with a fork until dough is moistened. Knead in bowl until a ball forms; flatten into a disk. Wrap in plastic wrap; refrigerate for at least 1 hour or until easy to handle.
- 2. In a small bowl, combine the mangoes, jelly, mint and lemon peel; set aside. In a small bowl, whisk egg and water.
- 3. On a floured surface, roll out dough to 1/8-in. thickness; cut into 4-in. circles. Spoon 2 teaspoons mango mixture into the center of each circle. Brush edges with water; fold dough over filling and seal with a fork. Brush with egg mixture; sprinkle with sugar.
- 4. Place on foil-lined baking sheets. Bake at 375° for 20-23 minutes or until golden brown. Remove to wire racks to cool. Yield: 2 dozen.
1 each: 136 calories, 8g fat (5g saturated fat), 31mg cholesterol, 107mg sodium, 14g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 0 fiber), 2g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1-1/2 fat, 1 starch.
Reviews for Tropical Turnovers
© 2016 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC