For a yummy tropical salad embellished with mandarin oranges, try this recipe. The dressing is also very zippy which everyone will love.—Carol Wakley, North East, Pennsylvania
- 6 tablespoons sugar, divided
- 1/2 cup slivered almonds
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Dash pepper
- Dash hot pepper sauce
- 6 cups torn iceberg lettuce
- 5 cups torn romaine
- 1 can (11 ounces) mandarin oranges, drained
- 1/2 cup chopped red onion
- In a heavy saucepan over medium-low heat, cook and stir 4 tablespoons of sugar until melted and golden brown. Stir in the almonds until well coated. Remove to waxed paper to cool.
- In a small bowl, whisk the oil, vinegar, parsley, salt, pepper, hot pepper sauce and remaining sugar. In a large bowl, combine the lettuces, oranges and onion. Break apart caramelized almonds; add to salad. Drizzle with dressing and toss to coat. Yield: 12 servings.
Originally published as Tropical Tossed Salad in Taste of Home June/July 2003, p48
Reviews for Tropical Tossed Salad
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review