Tropical Sweet Potatoes
Sweet potatoes take on a tropical twist with crushed pineapple mixed in. I add a crumb topping, which bakes to a pretty golden color, and a fresh pineapple garnish. —Mary Gaylord, Balsam Lake, Wisconsin
8-10 ServingsPrep: 50 min. Bake: 30 min.
- 4 large sweet potatoes (3-1/2 pounds)
- 1 can (8 ounces) crushed pineapple, undrained
- 6 tablespoons butter, melted, divided
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- Pinch pepper
- 1/2 cup crushed saltines
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- Pinch ground cloves
- In a large saucepan, cover sweet potatoes with water; bring to a
- boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 30 minutes or until tender.
- Drain and cool.
- Peel the potatoes and place in a large bowl; mash. Add the pineapple,
- 2 tablespoons butter, salt and pepper; mix well.
- Transfer to a greased 2-qt. baking dish. Combine saltines, brown
- sugar, cloves and remaining butter; sprinkle over potatoes. Bake,
- uncovered, at 375° for 30 minutes. Yield: 8-10 servings.