Every summer when I was young, Mother would serve her special sorbet. The recipe has been in the family for generations.
—Charlene Jackson, Jackson, Mississippi
12 ServingsPrep: 20 min. + chilling Process: 20 min. + freezing
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1-1/2 cups orange juice
- 1-1/2 cups mashed ripe bananas (about 3 medium)
- 2/3 cup lemon juice
- 1 can (8 ounces) crushed pineapple, undrained
- In a heat-proof bowl, dissolve sugar in boiling water; cool
- completely. Stir in the remaining ingredients. Chill for several
- Fill cylinder of ice cream freezer; freeze according to
- manufacturer's directions. Transfer sorbet to a freezer container;
- cover and freeze for 4 hours or until firm. Remove from the freezer
- 10 minutes before serving. Yield: about 1-1/2 quarts.
Nutritional Facts: 1/2 cup equals 122 calories, trace fat (trace saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 1 mg sodium, 31 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 1 g protein.