This refreshing dish is an excellent accompaniment to any meal on a hot day. I also enjoy it during the cold months—the blend of crunch cabbage, sweet fruit and chewy coconut seems to mentally transport me to a warm tropical island. It goes over well at potlucks.—Anna Marie Nicholas, Americus, Georgia
10 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 15 min.
- 1 can (20 ounces) pineapple tidbits
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 medium firm banana, sliced
- 3 cups shredded cabbage
- 1 can (11 ounces) mandarin oranges, drained
- 1 cup miniature marshmallows
- 1 cup flaked coconut
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- 1 cup raisins
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup (8 ounces) pineapple yogurt
- Drain the pineapple, reserving 2 tablespoons juice; set pineapple
- aside. Stir lemon juice and banana into reserved juice.
- In a large salad bowl, combine the cabbage, oranges, marshmallows,
- coconut, walnuts, raisins, salt, pineapple and banana mixture. Add
- yogurt; toss to coat. Cover and refrigerate until serving. Yield: 10
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 cup) equals 269 calories, 11 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 1 mg cholesterol, 165 mg sodium, 42 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 5 g protein.