Tropical Salad Bar Recipe
A zippy lime vinaigrette perfectly blends the sunny flavors in the Leafy Greens Council recipe featuring fresh green and pineapple, oranges and bananas.
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 20 min. + chilling YIELD:6-8 servings
- 1/3 cup vinegar
- 1/4 cup lime juice
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1 teaspoon celery seed
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 cup canola oil
- 1/2 teaspoon grated onion
- 4 cups torn leaf lettuce
- 1 cup torn curly endive
- 1 cup torn escarole
- 1 fresh pineapple, trimmed and cut into pieces
- 3 large oranges, peeled and sectioned
- 1 large firm banana, sliced
- Flaked coconut
- 1. In a small saucepan, bring vinegar and lime juice to a boil. In a medium bowl, combine the sugar, salt, mustard, celery seed and paprika. Add lime juice mixture and stir until sugar dissolves. Whisk in oil and onion until dressing is well mixed and slightly thickened; transfer to a carafe or serving dish. Chill.
- 2. Just before serving, place greens in a large bowl. Arrange fruit on a plate or shallow bowl and sprinkle with coconut. Pass greens, fruit and dressing separately or place on a buffet. Yield: 6-8 servings.
1 serving (1 cup) equals 403 calories, 28 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 302 mg sodium, 41 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 2 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC