Tropical Rainbow Dessert Recipe
Classic ribbon gelatin salad gets an up-to-date makeover with this tropical treatment. Cream of coconut creates the creamy layers in these showstopping parfaits. I like to surprise my nieces and nephews with this Jell-O mold done in neon colors. —Dan Kelmenson, West Bloomfield, Michigan
- 2 packages (3 ounces each) strawberry gelatin, divided
- 5 cups boiling water, divided
- 5 cups cold water, divided
- 1 can (15 ounces) cream of coconut, divided
- 2 packages (3 ounces each) orange gelatin, divided
- 2 packages (3 ounces each) pineapple gelatin, divided
- 2 packages (3 ounces each) lime gelatin, divided
- 1. In a small bowl, dissolve one package of strawberry gelatin in 3/4 cup boiling water. Stir in 3/4 cup cold water. Divide among 12 dessert dishes and refrigerate until set, or pour into a 3-qt. gelatin mold coated with cooking spray and refrigerate until set but not firm, 20-25 minutes.
- 2. In a small bowl, dissolve remaining package of strawberry gelatin in 1/2 cup boiling water. Add 1/2 cup cold water and scant 1/2 cup cream of coconut; stir. Spoon over the first layer. Chill until set but not firm, 20-25 minutes.
- 3. Repeat six times, alternating plain gelatin layers with creamy gelatin layers. Chill each layer until set but not firm before spooning next layer on top. Refrigerate for 4 hours or overnight. Unmold onto a serving platter. Yield: 12 servings.
1 slice equals 345 calories, 6 g fat (5 g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 148 mg sodium, 71 g carbohydrate, 0 fiber, 5 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC