Tropical Meringue Tarts Recipe
What a special treat! As pretty as an Easter basket, these tender meringue shells are filled with creamy pudding, then topped with fresh fruit and coconut. The perfect showstopper dessert for company, decrees our Test Kitchen.
- 4 egg whites
- 1 teaspoon white vinegar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1 cup sugar
- 1-1/4 cups cold fat-free milk
- 1 package (1 ounce) sugar-free instant vanilla pudding mix
- 1 cup reduced-fat whipped topping
- 1 cup cubed fresh pineapple
- 2 medium kiwifruit, peeled and sliced
- 2 tablespoons sweetened shredded coconut, toasted
- 1. Place egg whites in a large bowl; let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes. Meanwhile, line a baking sheet with parchment paper or foil. Draw ten 3-in. circles on paper; set aside.
- 2. Add vinegar and vanilla to egg whites; beat on medium speed until soft peaks form. Beat in cornstarch. Gradually beat in sugar, 2 tablespoons at a time, on high until stiff glossy peaks form and sugar is dissolved.
- 3. Cut a small hole in the corner of pastry or plastic bag; insert a large star pastry tip (#6B). Fill the bag with meringue. Pipe meringue in a spiral fashion to fill in circles on prepared pan. Pipe twice around the base of each shell in a spiral fashion to make the sides.
- 4. Bake at 275° for 50-60 minutes or until set and dry. Turn oven off and leave door closed; leave meringues in oven for 1 hour.
- 5. For filling, in a large bowl, whisk milk and pudding mix for 2 minutes. Fold in whipped topping. Spoon into meringue shells. Top with the pineapple, kiwi and coconut. Yield: 10 servings.
1 each: 145 calories, 2g fat (1g saturated fat), 1mg cholesterol, 157mg sodium, 30g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch.
Reviews for Tropical Meringue Tarts
© 2017 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC