- 4 egg whites
- 1 teaspoon white vinegar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1 cup sugar
- 1-1/4 cups cold fat-free milk
- 1 package (1 ounce) sugar-free instant vanilla pudding mix
- 1 cup reduced-fat whipped topping
- 1 cup cubed fresh pineapple
- 2 medium kiwifruit, peeled and sliced
- 2 tablespoons sweetened shredded coconut, toasted
- Place egg whites in a large bowl; let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes. Meanwhile, line a baking sheet with parchment paper or foil. Draw ten 3-in. circles on paper; set aside.
- Add vinegar and vanilla to egg whites; beat on medium speed until soft peaks form. Beat in cornstarch. Gradually beat in sugar, 2 tablespoons at a time, on high until stiff glossy peaks form and sugar is dissolved.
- Cut a small hole in the corner of pastry or plastic bag; insert a large star pastry tip (#6B). Fill the bag with meringue. Pipe meringue in a spiral fashion to fill in circles on prepared pan. Pipe twice around the base of each shell in a spiral fashion to make the sides.
- Bake at 275° for 50-60 minutes or until set and dry. Turn oven off and leave door closed; leave meringues in oven for 1 hour.
- For filling, in a large bowl, whisk milk and pudding mix for 2 minutes. Fold in whipped topping. Spoon into meringue shells. Top with the pineapple, kiwi and coconut. Yield: 10 servings.
Originally published as Tropical Meringue Tarts in Light & Tasty April/May 2006, p31
Reviews for Tropical Meringue Tarts
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review