Tropical Island Dessert Recipe
In New Iberia, Louisiana, Ashely Walls makes this adorable island with instant pudding and blue gelatin. While teens can easily assemble this treat, younger kids may need an adult's help.
- 3 packages (3 ounces each) berry blue gelatin
- 2 cups boiling water
- 2-1/2 cups cold water
- 4 tablespoons fish-shaped gummy candies, divided
- 2 cups cold milk
- 1 package (3.4 ounces) instant vanilla pudding mix
- 1 medium lime
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 1 round wooden toothpick
- 2 tablespoons graham cracker crumbs
- 6 whole allspice
- 1 disposable cup (2-ounce size)
- Fresh blueberries and additional gummy candies, optional
- 1. In a bowl, dissolve gelatin in boiling water. Stir in cold water. Pour into a 6-cup ring mold coated with cooking spray. Add 2 tablespoons gummy candies. Chill for 1 hour. Stir in remaining candies. Chill for 1-2 hours or until set.
- 2. In a bowl, whisk milk and pudding. Cover and chill until ready to use.
- 3. To make palm tree leaves, cut lime in half; remove and discard pulp. Place lime halves, cut side down, on a cutting board. With a pencil, sketch five leaves from bottom to top on each half. Cut out leaves, leaving center intact; make little cuts to create a palm leaf appearance. To create a base for the trees, turn disposable cup upside down; cut two small slits in the bottom. Insert a cinnamon stick in each slit for tree trunks. Break toothpick in half. Insert pointed ends into center of lime halves; insert broken ends into cinnamon sticks.
- 4. Unmold gelatin onto 12-in. serving platter. Place cup in the center of gelatin ring. Spoon vanilla pudding over cup, filling center of ring. Sprinkle with graham cracker crumbs for sand. Place allspice at base of trees for coconuts (discard allspice before serving). Garnish with blueberries and additional gummy fish if desired. Yield: 12-16 servings.
1 serving (1 each) equals 78 calories, 1 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 4 mg cholesterol, 118 mg sodium, 16 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 2 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC