- 1/2 cup reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1/3 cup canola oil
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 tablespoons dried minced onion
- 2 tablespoons sesame seeds
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 broiler/fryer chickens (3 to 4 pounds each), quartered
- In a small bowl, combine first 10 ingredients. Set aside 1/3 cup for basting; cover and refrigerate. Pour remaining marinade into a large resealable plastic bag. Add chicken; seal and turn to coat. Refrigerate 8 hours or overnight.
- Prepare grill for indirect heat, using a drip pan. Place chicken over drip pan; grill, covered, over indirect medium heat 45-60 minutes or until a thermometer reads 170°-175°, turning and basting frequently with reserved marinade during the last 20 minutes. Yield: 8 servings.
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.
Reviews for Tropical Island Chicken
Sort By :
"Switched poppy seeds for the sesame seeds, and a teaspoon of freeze-dried garlic instead of garlic cloves, used boneless/skinless chicken thighs, marinated overnight, and grilled over direct heat. A hit with our entire family. Yummy!"
"I've been making this since i first saw it in 2001. EVERYONE LOVES IT!!! My whole family, extended family, friends... I use it with boneless chicken, but the marinade keeps it moist and juicy every time!"
"My husband and I tried this recipe tonight with chicken breast halves and it was wonderful! We'll definitely make it again!"
"We love trying different marinades, and this is a definite winner! We don't have a grill, so I marinated cut-up chicken breasts and then cooked them on the stove. Delicious!"