- 1/2 cup reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1/3 cup canola oil
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 tablespoons dried minced onion
- 2 tablespoons sesame seeds
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 broiler/fryer chickens (3 to 4 pounds each), quartered
- In a small bowl, combine first 10 ingredients. Set aside 1/3 cup for basting; cover and refrigerate. Pour remaining marinade into a large resealable plastic bag. Add chicken; seal and turn to coat. Refrigerate 8 hours or overnight.
- Prepare grill for indirect heat, using a drip pan. Place chicken over drip pan; grill, covered, over indirect medium heat 45-60 minutes or until a thermometer reads 170°-175°, turning and basting frequently with reserved marinade during the last 20 minutes. Yield: 8 servings.
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.
Reviews for Tropical Island Chicken
Sort By :
"Amazing! This is going into heavy rotation! Good enough for company. We loved it."
"I have chronic problems remembering to get things out of the freezer, let alone marinate overnight. Having said that, I had a couple of those huge boneless chicken breasts that hadn't made it to the freezer yet. This is WONDERFUL! I think my new plan will have to be to remember (again with the remembering) to put these in the marinade as soon as I come home from the store. A mega keeper! Oh, and we didn't grill. I put them in the oven 400 degrees about 30 minutes."
"I'm going to try this with beef too!"
"Switched poppy seeds for the sesame seeds, and a teaspoon of freeze-dried garlic instead of garlic cloves, used boneless/skinless chicken thighs, marinated overnight, and grilled over direct heat. A hit with our entire family. Yummy!"
"I've been making this since i first saw it in 2001. EVERYONE LOVES IT!!! My whole family, extended family, friends... I use it with boneless chicken, but the marinade keeps it moist and juicy every time!"