- 2 cups cubed peeled papaya
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 medium ripe avocado, peeled and cubed
- 1 cup frozen corn, thawed
- 1/2 cup golden raisins
- 1/4 cup minced fresh cilantro
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- 2 serrano peppers, seeded and chopped
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons ground ancho chili pepper, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 corn tortillas (6 inches), cut into 1/4-inch strips
- Cooking spray
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a large bowl, combine papaya, beans, avocado, corn, raisins, cilantro, orange juice, peppers, lime juice, vinegar, garlic, 1/2 teaspoon chili pepper, sugar and salt.
- Place tortilla strips on a greased baking sheet; spritz with cooking spray. Sprinkle with remaining chili pepper. Bake 8-10 minutes or until crisp. Top salad with tortilla strips. Yield: 4 servings.
Light-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied white wine such as Sauvignon Blanc or Pinot Grigio.
Reviews for Tropical Fusion Salad with Spicy Tortilla Ribbons
"Dressing was delicious and the flavors came together nicely."
"This salad was easy to make, and tasted excellent. I didn't buy enough fresh papaya, so I used some from a can in light syrup, which actually worked out really well. And leftover tortilla strips make a good snack anytime!"
"Tasty and filling. Made it for a women's gathering and ladies loved it plus it is healthy and easy to make. Thank you!"
"I never waste my time writing a review, but this recipe was too good not to. Highly recommended!"
"Very good salad - I made the salad because the cover photo looked so great. As I was making it I hoped that I would like it - I did! So yummy. I liked the tortilla strips. I only used one pepper"
"Awesome and no guilt because it is so healthy....all the flavors in one dish make it one I will certainly be making again!"
"I think this salad is fantastic. I loved all the mild flavors together--from the beans, avocado, papaya, and corn, but then you get some nice heat from the serrano peppers and some sweetness from the raisins. Sweet and spicy are a great combination. I didn't really care for the tortilla strips. I felt like they were missing something. Maybe some salt, so I just make the salad without them now. Also, my husband doesn't care for cilantro, so I didn't add it to the salad, and I didn't feel that there was anything missing from the salad by not including it. I loved it!"
"We all LOVED this salad!!"
"I thought it wasn't very good as an actual salad, but I also couldn't find papaya around here, so I made it with a can of tropical fruit (including papaya), and I plan on dicing up the fruit a little more and making it a salsa. Fantastic as a salsa. Kinda strange to just eat as a salad..."
"It sounds delicious, but I have an intolerance to vinegar. I'm considering the recipe with pineapple juice rather than the cider vinegar. Any other suggestions?"