Tropical Fruit and Yogurt Salad
In Huntsville, Alabama, Ashley Braswell dresses up her fruit salad with yogurt cheese—the solids remaining after the whey has been drained from yogurt.
8 ServingsPrep: 20 min. + chilling
- 2 cups vanilla yogurt
- 4 large firm bananas, sliced
- 2 cans (11 ounces each) mandarin oranges, drained
- 1 can (20 ounces) pineapple chunks, drained
- 1 cup miniature marshmallows
- 1/4 cup flaked coconut, toasted
- Line a strainer with 4 layers of cheesecloth and place over a bowl.
- Place yogurt in prepared strainer; cover yogurt with edges of
- cheesecloth. Refrigerate for 8 hours or overnight.
- Remove yogurt from cheesecloth and discard liquid from bowl. In a
- large bowl, combine the bananas, oranges, pineapple, marshmallows
- and coconut. Add yogurt; stir gently to combine. Cover and
- refrigerate for at least 1 hour before serving. Yield: 8 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 3/4 cup equals 192 calories, 2 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 5 mg cholesterol, 44 mg sodium, 42 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 4 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2-1/2 fruit, 1/2 low-fat milk.