Tropical Fruit and Yogurt Salad Recipe
In Huntsville, Alabama, Ashley Braswell dresses up her fruit salad with yogurt cheese—the solids remaining after the whey has been drained from yogurt.
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 20 min. + chilling YIELD:8 servings
- 2 cups vanilla yogurt
- 4 large firm bananas, sliced
- 2 cans (11 ounces each) mandarin oranges, drained
- 1 can (20 ounces) pineapple chunks, drained
- 1 cup miniature marshmallows
- 1/4 cup flaked coconut, toasted
- 1. Line a strainer with 4 layers of cheesecloth and place over a bowl. Place yogurt in prepared strainer; cover yogurt with edges of cheesecloth. Refrigerate for 8 hours or overnight.
- 2. Remove yogurt from cheesecloth and discard liquid from bowl. In a large bowl, combine the bananas, oranges, pineapple, marshmallows and coconut. Add yogurt; stir gently to combine. Cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour before serving. Yield: 8 servings.
3/4 cup equals 192 calories, 2 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 5 mg cholesterol, 44 mg sodium, 42 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 4 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2-1/2 fruit, 1/2 low-fat milk.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC