Tropical Compote Dessert
To make a more adult version of this recipe, use brandy instead of the extra tropical fruit juice.—Taste of Home Test Kitchen
6 ServingsPrep: 15 min. Cook: 2-1/4 hours
- 1 jar (23-1/2 ounces) mixed tropical fruit
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon chopped crystallized ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 can (15 ounces) mandarin oranges, drained
- 1 jar (6 ounces) maraschino cherries, drained
- 1 medium firm banana, sliced
- 6 individual round sponge cakes
- 6 tablespoons flaked coconut, toasted
- Drain tropical fruit, reserving 1/4 cup liquid. Combine tropical
- fruit and jalapeno in a 1-1/2-qt. slow cooker. Combine the sugar,
- ginger, cinnamon and reserved juice; pour over fruit. Cover and cook
- on low for 2 hours. Stir in the mandarin oranges, cherries and
- banana; cook 15 minutes longer.
- Place sponge cakes on dessert plates; top with compote. Sprinkle with
- coconut. Yield: 6 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 sponge cake with 2/3 cup compote and 1 tablespoon coconut equals 257 calories, 3 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 28 mg sodium, 62 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 1 g protein.