Tropical Coconut Pie Recipe
A breeze to prepare, this tropical-tasting pie is tops with whoever tries it.—Nancy Mendoza, Yakima, Washington
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 20 min. + cooling Bake: 10 min. + chilling YIELD:8 servings
- 2-1/4 cups flaked coconut, divided
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 can (20 ounces) crushed pineapple, undrained
- 32 large marshmallows
- 2 teaspoons rum or vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream, whipped
- 1. In a bowl, combine 2 cups coconut and butter. Press onto the bottom and up the sides of a greased 9-in. pie plate. Bake at 325° for 8-10 minutes or until golden brown. Cool on a wire rack. Toast the remaining coconut; set aside.
- 2. Drain pineapple, reserving 1/2 cup juice (discard remaining juice or refrigerate for another use); set pineapple aside. In a saucepan, combine marshmallows and reserved juice. Cook and stir over medium heat until marshmallows are melted. Remove from the heat. Add pineapple, extract and salt; mix well. Refrigerate for 2 hours or until cool.
- 3. Fold in the whipped cream; spoon into prepared crust. Sprinkle with toasted coconut. Refrigerate for 2 hours or until set. Refrigerate leftovers. Yield: 8 servings.
1 serving (1 slice) equals 347 calories, 18 g fat (13 g saturated fat), 28 mg cholesterol, 191 mg sodium, 47 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 2 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC