Tropical Chicken Recipe
- 1 broiler/fryer chicken (3-1/2 to 4 pounds), cut up
- 3 tablespoons canola oil, divided
- 3/4 cup chopped onion
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 medium tomatoes, peeled and chopped
- 3 cups fresh or canned pineapple chunks
- 1 can (8 ounces) sliced water chestnuts, drained
- 1/4 cup pineapple juice
- 1 hot red pepper (4-1/2 to 5 inches), seeded and chopped
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 pound fresh snow peas
- 1 tablespoon minced chives
- Hot cooked rice
- 1. In a large skillet over medium heat, brown chicken in 2 tablespoons oil; remove and set aside.
- 2. In the same skillet, saute onion in remaining oil until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Add the tomatoes, pineapple, water chestnuts, pineapple juice, hot pepper, salt and pepper.
Return chicken to the pan; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 45 minutes. Add peas and chives; cover and simmer for 10-15 minutes or until peas are tender and chicken juices run clear. Thicken pan juices if desired. Serve with rice.
Freeze option: Freeze cooled chicken mixture in freezer containers. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Heat through in a covered saucepan, gently stirring and adding a little broth or water if necessary. Yield: 6 servings.
1 each: 451 calories, 24g fat (6g saturated fat), 102mg cholesterol, 396mg sodium, 24g carbohydrate (16g sugars, 4g fiber), 35g protein.
Reviews for Tropical Chicken
"Wow. This was really good. I didn't have snow peas, chestnuts, or chile peppers. I added green bell peppers, chile pepper flakes and frozen stir fry vegetables. Yummy."
"I liked this recipe and didn't find it greasy, but I'd cut down a little on the hot pepper next time, I'm pretty much a "wuss" when it comes to heat. My husband thought it should be hotter!"