For a deliciously sweet grilling dish, this recipe will exceed your expectations. It is has a wonderful variety of vegetables and even if you family doesn't like vegetables, they will love this dish.—Taste of Home Cooking School, Greendale, Wisconsin
- 1 bottle (11-1/2 ounces) sweet-and-sour sauce, divided
- 1/2 cup DOLE® Canned 100% Pineapple Juice
- 2 tablespoons teriyaki sauce
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1-1/2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts or thighs, cut into 1-1/2-inch cubes
- 2 medium sweet red peppers
- 2 medium green peppers
- 2 medium onions
- 1 fresh pineapple, washed and top removed
- Crushed red pepper flakes
- 8 cherry tomatoes, optional
- Hot cooked rice
- In a bowl, combine 1/2 cup sweet-and-sour sauce, pineapple juice, teriyaki sauce and garlic. Pour half of marinade into a large resealable plastic bag; add chicken. Seal bag and turn to coat; refrigerate about 15 minutes. Set aside remaining marinade.
- Meanwhile, cut peppers into 1-in. pieces and onions into wedges. Core pineapple; cut crosswise into 1/2-in. slices. Cut each slice into 4-6 wedges.
- Drain chicken, discarding marinade. On metal or soaked bamboo skewers, alternate meat with onions, peppers and pineapple. Brush kabobs with reserved marinade. Sprinkle with crushed red pepper flakes.
- Grill, uncovered, over medium heat for 4-5 minutes on each side. Baste with marinade. Continue turning and basting for 10-12 minutes longer or until chicken is no longer pink, adding tomatoes to kabobs during the last 5 minutes of cooking if desired. Serve with rice. Serve remaining sweet-and-sour sauce on the side. Yield: 4 servings (2 kabobs each).
Originally published as Tropical Chicken Kabobs in Taste of Home Cooking School Collection Spring 2005, p29
Light-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied white wine such as Sauvignon Blanc or Pinot Grigio.
Reviews for Tropical Chicken Kabobs
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Aug. 30, 2011
"Easy to make, delicious and very colorful."
Reviewed Jul. 18, 2010
"Delicious receipe!! Great summer meal; full of flavor."