Tropical Carrot Cake Recipe
I look forward to August because our family reunion means fun and great food, like this classic cake with the special flair it gets from pineapple. My great-aunt gave me this recipe, and I always make it for the reunion. —Victoria Casey, Enterprise, Oregon
- 3 large eggs
- 3/4 cup canola oil
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 cups finely shredded carrots
- 1 cup raisins
- 1 can (8 ounces) crushed pineapple, undrained
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- 1 cup flaked coconut
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 4 to 4-1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1 to 2 tablespoons heavy whipping cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1. In a large bowl, beat eggs, oil and buttermilk. Combine flour, sugar, baking soda, cinnamon and salt; add to egg mixture and mix well. Stir in vanilla, carrots, raisins, pineapple, walnuts and coconut; mix well. Pour into a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking pan. Bake at 350° for 45-50 minutes or until cake tests done. Cool.
- 2. For frosting, beat all ingredients in a bowl until smooth. Frost cake. Yield: 12-16 servings.
1 serving (1 piece) equals 552 calories, 23 g fat (7 g saturated fat), 57 mg cholesterol, 320 mg sodium, 83 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 7 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC