- 3 eggs
- 3/4 cup canola oil
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 cups finely shredded carrots
- 1 cup raisins
- 1 can (8 ounces) crushed pineapple, undrained
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- 1 cup flaked coconut
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 4 to 4-1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1 to 2 tablespoons heavy whipping cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- In a large bowl, beat eggs,oil and buttermilk. Combine flour, sugar, baking soda, cinnamon and salt; add to egg mixture and mix well. Stir in vanilla, carrots, raisins, pineapple, walnuts and coconut; mix well. Pour into a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking pan. Bake at 350° for 45-50 minutes or until cake tests done. Cool.
- For frosting, beat all ingredients in a bowl until smooth. Frost cake. Yield: 12-16 servings.
Reviews for Tropical Carrot Cake
Sort By :
"Actually, this recipe is practically identical to the recipe for Frosted Carrot Cake which I'd tested 12/27/14! I'd just used 1 tsp. of salt! I'd used 7/8 cup of evaporated milk which I'd soured with 1 Tbsp. cider vinegar and I had used 3/4 cup vegetable oil! I'd used a can of pineapple slices in their own juice which I'd crushed in my food processor and then measured out 1 cup. I'd omitted the nuts as there are folks who show a sensitivity to nuts!I'd baked the batter in a 12x8" greased and floured pan, one 5" mini greased and floured loaf pan and 6 muffin pans with paper liners and used a 40 to 45 minute baking time. The eggs, oil, flour, cinnamon, baking soda, I kept as is-also the amount of carrots and raisins (1 cup raisins) mixed with 1/8 cup all-purpose flour and I'd used 1/2 packed brown sugar and 1/2 white sugar. The vanilla I'd kept as is: 2 tsp. I really scaled back on icing the 12x8" cake by making icing from 4 oz. cream cheese, 1/4 cup butter OR margarine, softened, 1-1/2 cups confectioners' sugar and 1 tsp. vanilla extract! This recipe is excellent! I took the cake to my chapel for our coffee fellowship and it was served this morning! The bread and muffins also went along! Thank you for this recipe! Since this recipe is practically the same as the Frosted Carrot Cake with the exception of the amount of confectioner's sugar used in the icing, looking this recipe over, I figured I'd rate this one as well! It's amazing how so very much alike these 2 recipes are! delowenstein"
"This is the only carrot cake I make - it's a hit every time. Serves many hungry people and is actually good for you."
"One of the best cakes I've ever had!! (although I used store-bought icing, so I can't comment on that part) It was deliciously moist, sweet, and addictive!"
"I just found this recipe and from now on this is the only one I will make. Even a friend who is an excellent carrot cake maker said this was better than hers."
"Moist and chock full of goodies, this cake is delicious. It's easy to make too, especially if you are serving it directly from the pan."