Tropical Cake Recipe
The lemon-lime soda and pineapple give this cake a refreshing taste.
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 25 min. Bake: 35 min. + cooling YIELD:12-16 servings
- 1 package yellow cake mix (regular size)
- 1 package (3.4 ounces) instant vanilla pudding mix
- 1-1/4 cups lemon-lime soda
- 3 eggs
- 1/3 cup canola oil
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup butter, cubed
- 1 can (8 ounces) crushed pineapple, drained
- 1 cup flaked coconut
- 1. In a large bowl, combine the cake mix, pudding mix, soda, eggs, and oil; beat on low speed for 30 seconds. Beat on medium for 2 minutes.
- 2. Pour into a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking pan. Bake at 350° for 35-40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Place on a wire rack.
- 3. In a small saucepan, combine the sugar, flour, eggs, butter and pineapple. Cook and stir over medium heat until mixture is thickened and a thermometer reads 160° or is thick enough to coat the back of a metal spoon. Remove from the heat; stir in coconut. Spread over warm cake. Cool on a wire rack for 1 hour. Cover and refrigerate. Yield: 12-16 servings.
1 serving (1 piece) equals 369 calories, 17 g fat (8 g saturated fat), 82 mg cholesterol, 383 mg sodium, 52 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 4 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC